40 Day Plastic Free Challenge
Join us on our 40 day challenge of eliminating single use plastics from our day to day life, in honor of keeping our waterways clean. Did you know that 33% of plastics are used once before discarding. Or that Americans alone discard 30 million tons of plastic a year! Of that only 8% is recycled according to the Plastic Coalition. That means the rest of these plastics are thrown into landfills or become litter that end up in our waterways. It's reported by the World Economic Forum that by 2050 there will be more plastic in the oceans than there will be fish. That is why it is super important for you to take action! These 7 simple changes in your daily life can help to reduce your plastic waste and overall footprint.
7 Simple Changes To Reduce Your
Single-Use Plastic Waste
1. Purchase a reusable bottle! Yes it's reallt that easy! Refill a reusable bottle at water fountains and sinks instead of purchasing cases of water! Or bring your reusable thermos through the drive thru next time you grab a coffee! Also, check your local health food store for other refillable drinks like kombucha!
2. Say no to plastic straws and instead purchase a reusable stainless steel straw! Leave one in your car for on the go uses like drive through, or in your purse when you're out to eat. It's so simple yet so effective! Find a pack of 4 online at Amazon for less than $10. This picture above was from a 5 minute beach cleanup in the US Virgin Islands last year.
3. Use reusable totes instead of plastic bags when grocery shopping. A nice organic cotton tote can be purchased on our site, or you can buy a cheaper version at most grocery stores for less than a dollar. Also, for those of you who tend to forget your bags at home, like me, you can always ask for a box! Most stores are happy to get rid of them. Not only does it make bringing your food inside super easy, but it can be recycled once your done.
4. Use a bamboo utensil set when on the go instead of plastic utensils. This awesome company Bureo makes these To-Go sets which include a fork, spoon, knife and chopsticks. (They also makes skateboards from recycled fishing nets!) Pack this set with you for lunch or when you go camping, get take out, even drive-thru!
5. Use Bee's Wraps instead of plastic wrap! Bee's Wraps is a washable, reusable, and compostable alternative. They're made of organic cotton, beeswax, organic jojoba oil, and tree resin. Use them to cover leftovers, fruits or vegetables, even cheese!
6. Don't purchase balloons and if that's not an option then at least don't let them go! Balloons can travel thousands of miles once in the air and eventually they pop. They then fall back down polluting the earth as ugly litter. Balloons that end up in our waterways can often be mistaken for squid or jellyfish and consumed by marine life.
7. Shop consciously and support good causes! We do our best to shop locally and consciously! It's our core mission to be a green, sustainable, eco-friendly company! That's why we ship using Ecoenclose poly mailers which are made from 100% recycled material, can be used more than once with dual adhesive strips, and can be recycled after its final use! We also donate 5% of our proceeds towards keeping our ocean clean.